I LOVE GREEK FOOD.
Love it. Hands down, it’s one of my favorite cuisines. I’ve always enjoyed foods that pair extreme temperature differences, and Greek food tends to do that quite a bit. I’ll admit, some things are a bit funky (I have a hard time with Feta Cheese Pie myself), and for the unaccustomed, greek food can be a bit intimidating. But I assure you, the Greek’s emphasis on flavor and fresh ingredients makes their dishes downright delectable.
One of my favorite dishes are Gyros (pronounced YEE-ROH, not GY-ROH. Although, say it that way stateside and you’ll get lots of funny looks.). These are fairly common in the United States, and the majority of people are familiar with them. If you are not, Gyros are a pockets stuffed with shaved meat (traditionally lamb or pork, although chicken and beef Gyros are not unheard of!) and any number of additional ingredients. Usually the pockets are filled with some combination of fresh tomato, white onion, and a creamy cool yogurt-cucumber sauce known as Tzaziki (♥). Lettuce is sometimes added as filler, and I’ve even seen Gyros in France which were stuffed with french-fries! They are a hot, greasy, fresh, impossibly good meal, and if you’ve never tried one, I suggest you add it to your “to eat” list immediately.
If you ever find your way to Greece, there is a tiny shop in the heart of Athens called Ebbas which serves the greatest Gyros I’ve ever tasted (and I’ve had quite a few!). The shop probably wouldn’t pass a health inspection test, but don’t let the interior get to you- this is as good as it gets! The flies in the Tzaziki bowls are just part of the experience. Best part? It’s SUPER CHEAP. I was able to buy a lamb gyro, bottle of coke, and 1 liter water bottle for 2.50 Euro. That’s more than I would spend on a single bottle of water in certain European countries (here’s looking at you, France!).
For those who would prefer a more close-to-home Greek experience, there is a shop that serves Gyros in the Kingston Emporium. International Pockets is my favorite restaurant in the area! Their food is fresh, delicious, and well priced. Not to mention they give you free baklavah (Honey-Nut Pastry)! Although, I have to be honest with you. I never order their gyros anymore. Once I tried their Falafel wrap, I was hooked! But no matter what you order, it’s certainly worth a visit.
I’m sort of regretting writing this entry, I really want greek food now.
Love it. Hands down, it’s one of my favorite cuisines. I’ve always enjoyed foods that pair extreme temperature differences, and Greek food tends to do that quite a bit. I’ll admit, some things are a bit funky (I have a hard time with Feta Cheese Pie myself), and for the unaccustomed, greek food can be a bit intimidating. But I assure you, the Greek’s emphasis on flavor and fresh ingredients makes their dishes downright delectable.
One of my favorite dishes are Gyros (pronounced YEE-ROH, not GY-ROH. Although, say it that way stateside and you’ll get lots of funny looks.). These are fairly common in the United States, and the majority of people are familiar with them. If you are not, Gyros are a pockets stuffed with shaved meat (traditionally lamb or pork, although chicken and beef Gyros are not unheard of!) and any number of additional ingredients. Usually the pockets are filled with some combination of fresh tomato, white onion, and a creamy cool yogurt-cucumber sauce known as Tzaziki (♥). Lettuce is sometimes added as filler, and I’ve even seen Gyros in France which were stuffed with french-fries! They are a hot, greasy, fresh, impossibly good meal, and if you’ve never tried one, I suggest you add it to your “to eat” list immediately.
If you ever find your way to Greece, there is a tiny shop in the heart of Athens called Ebbas which serves the greatest Gyros I’ve ever tasted (and I’ve had quite a few!). The shop probably wouldn’t pass a health inspection test, but don’t let the interior get to you- this is as good as it gets! The flies in the Tzaziki bowls are just part of the experience. Best part? It’s SUPER CHEAP. I was able to buy a lamb gyro, bottle of coke, and 1 liter water bottle for 2.50 Euro. That’s more than I would spend on a single bottle of water in certain European countries (here’s looking at you, France!).
For those who would prefer a more close-to-home Greek experience, there is a shop that serves Gyros in the Kingston Emporium. International Pockets is my favorite restaurant in the area! Their food is fresh, delicious, and well priced. Not to mention they give you free baklavah (Honey-Nut Pastry)! Although, I have to be honest with you. I never order their gyros anymore. Once I tried their Falafel wrap, I was hooked! But no matter what you order, it’s certainly worth a visit.
I’m sort of regretting writing this entry, I really want greek food now.
No comments:
Post a Comment