As the summer draws to an end, try to make use of your local farmstands and farmer's markets. Think globally, act locally! These people are part of your culture, and your support benifits everyone.
It may be getting a bit late in the season, but if you can get your hands on some basil, this is a fantastic recipe for pesto. I designed it this summer when I was in desperate need of a pot-luck dish with relatively few ingredients on hand.
Pesto is an italian sauce traditionally made with basil, olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic and pine nuts/walnuts. As I didn't have any pine/walnuts on hand, I decided to use pecans. The oily nut gave the pesto a silky texture, and I honestly prefer it to the traditional recipe!
In a blender combine:
3 cups basil leaves (FRESH, FRESH, FRESH!)
1 cup pecans
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon garlic
Salt/Pepper to taste (Basil can be peppery, so try the pesto first!)
Pulse the ingredients while drizzling in olive oil until the mixture becomes sauce-like.
Serve over pene pasta, or as a dip for crackers (I like it on wheat-thins!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment