Sunday, November 29, 2009

Failed Recipe. :(

I just attempted to make my own hummus. Unfortunately, it was a complete and utter disaster(I did manage to throw together some delicious falafel though!). One of the perels of living in an apartment on a college campus is that your pantry is often lacking vital ingredients. Today, I found myself lacking lemon juice, tahini (a paste made from sesame seeds), and a food processor. I figured I could substitue orange juice for the lemon, as it was the acid the recipe needed, not the lemon flavor. I decided to omit the tahini, which was my first mistake. You really can't have hummus without tahini. The lack of a food processor also made things tough. My hummus turned out chunky, bland, and ultimately inedible, since I fiddled with it for an excessive amount of time instead of just giving up.

In the end, I served my falafel with sour cream and a drizzle of honey, which was fabulous. Potatoe Latkes, a traditional Jewish dish, are similar to falafel and are often served with sour cream. This was my insperation for the dip. I drizzled it with honey because I felt it would pair nicely with the spicy cumin in the falafel. I couldn't have asked for a better combination- the tang from the sour cream paired beautifully with the sharp sweetness of the clover honey, and together they made a sublime dip for the falafel cakes. It just goes to show you how important it is to be creative in the kitchen, and to not get discouraged by failed attempts!

No comments:

Post a Comment