Monday, November 30, 2009

The things we don't eat...



Mmm. Bugs. :)


As a culture, Americans have relatively unvaried diets compared to many other countries. Sure, there's something wonderful about a medium rare burger, with a side of fries and a ice cold coke, but we're missing out on so much variety!

Here are some of the more interesting dishes from around the world- look what you're missing out on!

Calamares En Su Tinta- Squid or octopus stewed in its own ink. A famous mediterranian dish.

Cuy Chactado- A classic Peruvian dish made from fried guinea pig. It's also popular in Ecuador.

Iguana Guisado- A stew of sauteed iguana meat and vegetables in a hearty broth.

Ant Tacos- exactly what they sound like. Tacos. Made from ants.

Century Eggs- Eggs left in a mix of lime, clay, rice and other preservatives for several weeks, then consumed. Extremely popular in China.

I'll admit that some of these dishes sound funky. But I'll also admit that I've eaten some "funky" foods, and found them to be delectable. Perhaps the only reason these dishes sound odd to us is because we've never been exposed to them. We must open our minds, and our mouths, to all kinds of new ideas and flavors. :) That's what being a foodie is all about!

1 comment:

  1. Do you like the food shows on the Travel Channel--Andrew Aimmern comes to mind when I read this post.

    ReplyDelete